Tuesday, April 22, 2014

My Favorite Candy Bar Experience

When I was a kid, my favorite snack of all time was a Caramello and a Dr. Peper.  The sweet on sweet on with a dash of chocolate was such an intense experience [never mind the sugar rush] that you didn't care that you couldn't differentiate which sugar belonged to which item.

Out of all the times I've had this combination of a candy and soft drink, I think my most memorable moment was in Wayne, Nebraska.  Grade-school age, eighty-nine cents and a bike ride to the 7/11. I ended up afterwards at the high-school track.  I jumped onto the high-jump mats and began my one person candy feast.  So refreshing was that first sip of the 21 flavors of Dr. Peper. So, intoxicating was that chocolate and caramel first bite of that Caramello.  
                                                              *photo cred to www.chocablog.com 

Taking each bite, little by little followed by a simple sip to wash down the sugar stuck to my teeth. I took my time enjoying that memory. Laying back, I started to daydream.  My typical stuff, being a super hero, alien invasions and of course me saving the day from some world catastrophe.  

I ended up falling asleep and after groggily rolling myself off the mat, I went to pick up my wrapper. To my surprise, there was one last piece of Caramello in it.  How could this be I thought? I know I ate each piece.  And the Dr. Peper.  It was still ice cold.  I had to have saved the world 10 times over and been asleep long enough that it should be that bad kind of luke warm.  

Then it hit me.  I was being rewarded for having such great dreams (seemed logical).  I concluded that the universe wanted me to dream of great things and if I did so, I'd awaken to gifts.  As absurd as that is.  I firmly believed it and have spent the rest of my life (and to this day) still dreaming.  

The reason, this is my favorite candy bar experience, is because at that moment, I knew it was ok to dream my heart out.  To tackle life through my imagination.  I've always been a quirky person, but for once, it felt ok.  That moment allowed me to be comfortable in who I am or could be.  And at the end of each day, no matter how tough life would be.  I could always dream my way into a happier place and wake up with an extra piece of candy and ice cold soda.  

No comments:

Post a Comment