Monday, April 14, 2014

My Best Ever Peanut Butter Cookie

I love Peanut Butter.  Crunchy, to be exact.  I eat something with peanut butter in it daily.  And though PB&J may always be a staple for me.  A love dear to my heart is peanut butter cookies.

And not just any.  I like them chunky.  On the softer side and love it when they come with hidden surprises like, honey or cranberries or chocolate chunks.

I've eaten a lot of cookies in my life.  So, I'd like to think that I have good tastes in this department.  As I think of the years and thousands of cookies.  One stands out more then the others:

Volunteer Park Cafe, last summer.  I just finished meeting the owner and realized I was starving.  What do I see?  A peanut butter cookie, with a sign that said "Drew, EAT ME NOW" (ok, didn't say that, exactly).

Now, this place is charming.  I mean CHARMING.  Perfect daytime, lunch-date spot. Get an iced coffee, a sandwich and just enjoy your company as you get lost in just how comfortable this place will make you feel. With that said.  I cared for none of the tactile attributes as I had one task in mind; devour this heaven in front of me.

And that,  I did, but slowly. I could not get myself to rush this cookie-divine moment.  NOPE.  I took it in slowly.  Small bite, by small bite.  Tasting every ounce of butter, sugar, salt and the chunks of peanuts, blended perfectly in a balance that I call, My Best EVER Peanut Butter Cookie.  That cookie.  Trumped all peanut butter cookies.  Not because it had the hidden add ons.  But because it was simple and bold. It reminded me of the first time I ever had peanut butter and how unforgiving it was as it stuck to my tongue and mouth, fighting me to stay on my taste buds as it nourished me with the beautiful sensation of that peanuty taste that hooked me for life.  

After my ballet with that cookie. I quietly cleaned up.  Purchased three more cookies and thought to myself how grand life really is.  I think I may have even been whistling on the way out.  Thank you Volunteer Park Cafe.  You will always that have special moment in my heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment