Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Out with a hundred women - what to wear as a man?


On Jan 29th, I threw an informal fashion show for a themed ladies night out party at Rigoletto with my wonderful friends, Joan Kelly (Fashion First), Dani Ackerly (Canopy Blue), Lauren Grinnell (Runway to Freedom) and William Porter (Sunday Riley).

We highlighted tips, tricks and trends for the upcoming Spring season in fashion, hair and makeup and put on a mini fashion show using the center of a beautiful restaurant as our runway.

With 100 fashionable women in attendance, I knew there would be a lot of great style in the room; I was not disappointed!

My attire for the night?  A bombing custom suit from my partners at Suitsupply in downtown Seattle. The grey textured suit has slight undertones of blue.  So I approached the rest of my outfit by keeping the blues and grey's muted, while at the same time highlighting them from 2 simple pieces of color.

The outfit colors:
Grey Suit
Grey button down shirt with small pinstripes
Navy vest with pinstripes
Black tie with white diamond pattern
Black shoes
Pink pocket square with a blue outline
Vintage tie clip with orange as the main color

Why does this all work?
Texture
Color
Classic

Textures:
I used a lot of textures throughout this outfit.  The suit and shirt balance each other because they are differing. The tie to the shirt balance each other because they are complimenting colors.  And the vest to the suit pull each other in because blue is present in each.  There was a lot going on, but because the basic color wasn't bright, I was able to pull this off with ease.  

Colors:
The colors all work because the are various shades of blue / grey and they are brought together through a bold pop of black (that has patterns) and a pocket square that actually brightened every piece I wore.

Classic:
Three piece suit with a double windsor knot and simple black shoes.

In a room full of women, I stood out. I'd venture to say, even if I was in a room full of men, I could still do the same thing.  If that's your goal, then take note and attack your wardrobe the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment